According to naturals, there are various reasons for returning to natural hair. The same can be said for those who transition. Although the goal of transitioning is to wear your natural hair, there isn’t one set reason why a person chooses to transition.
I’ve listed various reasons below:
- To retain length until you reach a comfortable desired result.
- To become familiar with your natural hair texture until you’re comfortable with managing it.
- To manage both textures while working with familiar and new territory.
- To slowly cut relaxed hair while your natural hair grows.
- To protect the ends of your natural hair; transitioning can be a protective tactic for new growth.
- As a way to venture into natural hair care, styles, and maintenance; popular natural styles like braid outs or twist outs are common with transitioning ladies.
- As a way to wean your hair from relaxers or chemical treatments by stretching your relaxers.
- As a trial run.
- As an inadvertent or serendipitous response from stretching your relaxers.
Transitioning Links and Series